Kuklina Alla Georgievna, Candidate of biological sciences, senior researcher, Main Botanical Garden named after N. V. Tsitsin of the Russian Academy of Sciences (4 Botanicheskaya street, Moskow, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Sorokopudov Vladimir Nikolaevich, Doctor of agricultural sciences, professor, All-Russian Horticultural Institute of Breeding and Agrotechnology (4 Zagoryevskaya street, Moskow, Russia), email@example.com
Navalneva Irina Alekssevna, Researcher, Belgorod State Agricultural University named after V. Y. Gorin (1 Vavilova street, Maysky village, Belgorod district, Belgorod, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. A comprehensive analysis of the prospects of a non-traditional culture of Chaenomeles is crucial for production of new resistant varieties and their wide dissemination in Russia. The objective of the study includes efficiency and quality assessments of fruits of selected forms of Chaenomeles Lindl. (Maloideae, Rosaceae) in Middle Russia.
Materials and methods. The studies were carried out in 2013–2014 in the Belgo-rod Botanical Garden. The seed offspring of Chaenomeles, 27 selected forms de-rived from open pollination of the Ukrainian sort Calif, served as the material for the study and analysis. Studying 10–25 bushes of each form the authors measured their length, diameter and thickness of fruit pulp, and counted the number of seeds. Weights of seeds, fruits and yield per bush were found by weighing on electronic scales JW-1-600ACOM.
Results. It has been observed, that fruits of the selected forms of Chaenomeles in Belgorod have a length from 4,0 to 7,0 cm, and a diameter 4,4–6,5 cm. Their average weight is 34,3 to 67,8 g, maximum – up to 129 g. The pericarp’s thickness is 1,1–1,4 cm. The proportion of seeds (33–90 pieces) in fruits is 3,8–11,8 %. The fruit yield per bush of the selected forms is 1,2–4,2 kg higher, than that of the parent sort Calif (0,8 kg). The maximum number of fruits on a bush (75–79 pieces) was ob-served in forms No. 3, 13 and 16.
Conclusions. According to the comprehensive assessment of biological proper-ties and productivity, the selected forms of Chaenomeles show themselves as a promising vitaminous fruit crop in Middle Russia. The breeding offspring of the sort Calif is stable. Cultivars’ productivity reaches up to 3–4 kg of fruits per bush. Fruits of Chaenomeles (weighing ~ 50–60 g) are of good quality, can be used for various kinds of processing and are valued in preventive nutrition.
1. Weber C. Arnoldia. 1963, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 18–75.
2. Kuklina A. G., Fedulova Yu. A. Nastoyashchiy Khozyain [A true farmer]. 2014, no. 8, pp. 42–45.
3. Kuklina A. G., Fedulova Yu. A. Plodovodstvo i yagodovodstvo Rossii [Fruit and berry growing in Russia]. 2015, vol. 41, pp. 200–202.
4. Sorokopudov V. N., Naval'neva I. A., Deyneka L. A. Netraditsionnye i redkie rasteniya, prirodnye soedineniya i perspektivy ikh ispol'zovaniya [Nontraditional and rare plants, natural junctions and their application prospects]. Belgorod: Politerra, 2006, vol. 2, pp. 193–197.
5. Naval'neva I. A., Sorokopudov V. N. Nauchn. ved. BelGU. Seriya: Estestvennye nauki [Scientific bulletin of Belgorod State University: Natural sciences]. 2010, vol. 21 (92), no. 13, pp. 38–41.
6. Sorokopudov V. N., Naval'neva I. A., Deyneka L. A. Lekarstvennye rasteniya i biolog-icheski aktivnye veshchestva: fitoterapiya, farmatsiya, farmakologiya [Medicinal plants and bioactive substances: phytotherapy, pharmacy, pharmacology]. Belgorod: Politerra, 2008, pp. 115–118.
7. Strelets V. D., Filatova A. A. Plodorodie [Fertility]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 44–45.
8. Fedulova Yu. A. Vestnik MichGAU [Bulletin of Michurin State Agricultural University]. 2014, no. 4, pp. 79–81.
9. Mezhenskiy V. N. Sovremennoe sadovodstvo [Modern gardening]. 2010, no. 1, pp. 25–28.
10. Pigul' M. L. Plodovodstvo [Fruit growing]. Samokhvalovichi: NAN Belarusi, 2011, vol. 23, pp. 240–246.
11. Korchikov E. S. Problemy sadovodstva Srednego Povolzh'ya [Fuit growing problems in Middle Volga region]. Samara: As Gard, 2011, pp. 152–157.
12. Sorokopudov V. N., Sorokopudova O. A., Koval' V. Yu. Osnovnye napravleniya i metody selektsii semechkovykh kul'tur [Main areas and methods of selection of seed crops]. Orel: VNIISPK, 2001, pp. 96–97.
13. Vorob'eva G. M. Novye i netraditsionnye rasteniya i perspektivy ikh ispol'zovaniya [New and nontraditional plants and their application prospects]. Moscow: RUDN, 2015, pp. 24–26.
14. Kumpan V. N., Sukhotskaya S. G. Khenomeles yaponskiy – novaya kul'tura v Zapadnoy Sibiri [Chaenomeles japonica – a new crop in Western Siberia]. Omsk: OmGAU, 2010, 120 p.
15. Programma i metodika selektsii plodovykh, yagodnykh i orekhoplodnykh kul'tur [Pro-grams and methods of selection of fruit-bearing, berry and nut-bearing plants]. Ed. by E. N. Sedov. Orel: VNI i SPK, 1995, 502 p.
16. Sorokopudov V. N., Kuklina A. G. Selektsiya, semenovodstvo i genetika [Selection, seed growing and genetics]. 2015, no. 4, pp. 33–37.